Baked Stuffed Shells
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 18 cooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 pound low-fat turkey breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare stuffing, combine 1/4 cup boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl; let stand 20 minutes or until tomatoes soften. Drain and finely chop. Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, and next 6 ingredients (through egg) in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon 2 tablespoons stuffing into each shell. Set stuffed shells aside.
To prepare sauce, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Place onion mixture in a bowl.
Coat pan with cooking spray; return pan to heat. Add sausage, and cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add wine; cook until wine is reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 3 minutes). Stir in onion mixture, tomato paste, and next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes); bring to a simmer. Cook 25 minutes or until slightly thick.
Spread 2 cups sauce over bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer in pan; top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over sauce. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
Pasta recipes are easy go-to dinner options during a busy weeknight. You can prepare them ahead, load them with yummy ingredients, and serve a one-dish meal that everyone will love. This baked shells dish offers turkey sausage in the sauce and (surprise!) tofu hidden in the shells.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 stuffed shells and about 1 cup sauce)
|Calories per serving:||391|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||32%|
|Fat per serving:||13.8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2.3g|
|Protein per serving:||27g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||37.1g|
|Fiber per serving:||4.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||84mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||892mg|
|Calcium per serving:||238mg|
Good to Know
Tofu is a great source of soy protein, and its flavor becomes what it's mixed with. Adding veggies like bell peppers to your homemade sauce is a healthy way to increase you fiber intake and eat fresh.