- 1 pound uncooked fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 10 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
Cook pasta according to package instructions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add reserved pasta water and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk to combine; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add pecorino Romano, stirring until smooth. Add half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Stir in spinach. Combine cheese mixture and pasta in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Place about 1 cup pasta mixture in each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
You can use Asiago cheese for a slightly sweeter flavor, or Parmigiano-Reggiano for a sharper flavor than the pecorino Romano.
- Yield: 8 servings
|Calories per serving:||365|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||30%|
|Fat per serving:||12.2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6.3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.6g|
|Protein per serving:||15.9g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||46.6g|
|Fiber per serving:||2.3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||34mg|
|Iron per serving:||1.8mg|
|Sodium per serving:||681mg|
|Calcium per serving:||188mg|