Simple Summer Garden Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked penne or other short pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and zucchini until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook 1 minute. Gently stir in tomatoes and salt, and bring to a simmer; remove from heat.
3. Place the pasta in a large serving bowl and top with sauce. Sprinkle with the basil and Parmesan, and serve immediately.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 7 minutes. Ripe tomatoes freshen up this light pasta, which gets a kick from red pepper.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Andrea's wine pick: Showcase the basil and Parmesan flavors with a lusty California cabernet, which cuts through the cheesy richness and brings out the basil beautifully. Try Sebastiani Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2003, a $17 wine that tastes like it costs twice that.
|Calories per serving:||332|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||50g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||274mg|
|Calcium per serving:||125mg|