Caramelized Pork Loin with Apples
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) boneless pork loin, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into wedges
- 2 Rome apples, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Rub garlic over surface of trimmed pork loin. Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork and onion; cook 10 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning occasionally.
4. Place the pork in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over roast. Arrange the onion around pork, and drizzle with vinegar. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes.
5. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apples, and sauté 5 minutes or until golden.
6. Remove the pork from oven, and arrange apples around pork; reduce heat to 350°, and cook an additional 20 minutes or until pork is done.
7. Pour pan drippings into a medium saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 14 minutes). Drizzle over pork, apples, and onion.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork with apples and onion)
|Calories per serving:||199|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||21g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||61mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||123mg|
|Calcium per serving:||28mg|
Good to Know
Apples, rich in fiber, are a great way to satisfy that sweet tooth. Mixed with pork, this dish is full of protein and fiber. Add a side of mashed sweet potatoes or squash - as shown - for healthy carboyhdrates and vitamin A.