Chicken in Tomato-Tarragon Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 large minced shallots (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups chopped tomato (about 2 medium, firm tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, lightly dredge them in all-purpose flour (shaking off any excess), and then carefully place them in the skillet. Cook until chicken breasts are golden and nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, and cover.
2. In the same pan, sauté the shallots over medium heat until tender, about 1 minute. Add white wine, and use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth; simmer, covered, over medium-low heat 5 minutes.
3. Return chicken breasts to the pan, and cook over medium heat 4 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts, and place 1 breast on each of 4 plates. Stir the tomatoes and tarragon into the broth mixture; pour 1/3 cup sauce over each chicken breast. Sprinkle with cheese, and serve warm.
Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 21 minutes. Serve this hearty chicken on a bed of brown rice.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast, 1/3 cup tomato-tarragon sauce, and 1 ounce cheese)
|Calories per serving:||278|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||31g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||10g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||90mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||428mg|
|Calcium per serving:||124mg|