Stuffed Roasted Red Peppers
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous (about 2 cups cooked)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Roast the bell peppers on a gas stove's open flame, turning them with tongs, until the skins are blackened, for about 2-3 minutes; or roast them on a rack under the broiler 2 inches from the heat, turning them every 5 minutes, for about 15 minutes. Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let them cool. When cool enough to handle, peel peppers starting at the stem end, carefully cut off the tops with a paring knife, and rinse out any seeds. Set aside.
2. Lightly coat a sauté pan with olive oil; place over medium heat. Sauté garlic until it begins to turn golden, about 1 minute. Add spinach; cook over medium heat until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in lemon juice and salt; place spinach in a bowl. Preheat oven to 350°.
3. In a small pot, cook couscous according to package directions (about 5 minutes). Using a spatula, add the couscous and the feta cheese to the wilted spinach, and mix well.
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Generously stuff all the peppers with couscous-spinach stuffing, and place on a baking sheet. Bake on the center rack for about 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 pepper)
|Calories per serving:||216|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||9g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||30g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||21mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||479mg|
|Calcium per serving:||165mg|
Good to Know
Bell peppers are rich in immunity-boosting vitamin C. Try this dish with green peppers, which are the best source of vitamin C.