Fava Bean Risotto with Fresh Mozzarella and Prosciutto
- 4 1/2 pounds unshelled fava beans (about 2 1/4 cups shelled)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (about 1/2 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leek (about 2 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 400°.
Remove beans from pods; discard pods. Cook beans in boiling water 1 minute. Remove beans with a slotted spoon. Plunge beans into ice water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins. Set beans aside.
Arrange prosciutto in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 400° for 7 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
Bring broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil); keep warm over low heat.
Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add rice and thyme; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add white wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in beans, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat; stir in arugula and cheese. Top with prosciutto.
This entrée is a delicious springtime one-dish meal. You can use 2 1/4 cups fresh shelled green peas in place of the favas, or a combination of both.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup risotto and about 2 teaspoons prosciutto)
|Calories per serving:||266|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||26%|
|Fat per serving:||7.6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Protein per serving:||13.9g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||35.4g|
|Fiber per serving:||4.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||28mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||691mg|
|Calcium per serving:||167mg|