Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle salsa verde (such as Herdez brand)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 lime wedges
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Combine chicken and cream cheese in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa mixture. Reserve remaining salsa mixture.
Bring broth to a simmer in a medium skillet. Working with one tortilla at a time, add tortilla to pan; cook 20 seconds or until moist, turning once. Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up. Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, broth, and chicken mixture.
Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco and chili powder. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
A squeeze of lime juice and bottled green salsa brighten the flavor of these hearty, yet mild enchiladas.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 enchiladas and 1 lime wedge)
|Calories per serving:||327|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||26%|
|Fat per serving:||9.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.3g|
|Protein per serving:||28.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||31g|
|Fiber per serving:||3.3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||78mg|
|Iron per serving:||1.8mg|
|Sodium per serving:||493mg|
|Calcium per serving:||149mg|
Good to Know
It wouldn't be a Mexican dish without beans or rice. Add a small side for a boost of fiber.