Sweet Potato Noodle Kugel
- 8 ounces egg noodles made for Passover
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and grated (about 4 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes; sauté until tender, 8 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
4. Beat together eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add sour cream, jam, and salt; mix well. Add the sweet-potato mixture; mix well. Stir in noodles. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square glass baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray; cover dish with foil.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with pecans; let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 38 minutes. Andrea's wine pick: Bring out the hint of apricot sweetness in this dish with a tender-fruited, peachy American pinot gris like Gallo of Sonoma Russian River Valley 2004 ($15). You can grate the sweet potatoes either by hand or in a food processor fitted with the grating disk.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||427|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||61g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||129mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||453mg|
|Calcium per serving:||81mg|