Spicy Beef and Kimchi Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast or beef tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar or mirin
- 2 cups chopped jarred kimchi
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions for garnish
- 3 cups cooked rice
1. Turn the heat to high under a large skillet that can later be covered. Add the beef cubes a few at a time and brown well, adjusting the heat so the meat browns but does not burn and turning beef to brown on all sides; this will take about 10 minutes. Remove the meat to a plate when it is done, and turn the heat to low.
2. Add garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic colors, about 2 minutes. Add the water, then the soy sauce and either sugar or mirin. Add the meat and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer.
3. Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers steadily but not violently and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, 50 minutes, depending on the cut you used (tenderloin cooks much faster than chuck). Add the kimchi, and cook 10 minutes or until heated through. (You can prepare the dish several hours in advance up to this point. Cover and set aside until you're ready to eat, then reheat; or cover and refrigerate overnight before reheating.)
4. Uncover, then taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions, and serve immediately over cooked rice.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 1 hour, 12 minutes. This recipe is high in sodium (due to the soy sauce and the kimchi), so if high blood pressure is a concern for you, omit the soy sauce, which will bring the sodium down about 200 milligrams.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup stew mixture and 1/2 cup rice)
|Calories per serving:||418|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||38g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||38g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||101mg|
|Iron per serving:||6mg|
|Sodium per serving:||961mg|
|Calcium per serving:||31mg|