Balsamic Braised Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and heat olive oil in a braising pan over medium-high heat. Sear chicken thoroughly on all sides until it is a deep, golden color, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
2. Add shallots and thyme to the pot, and sauté until soft and golden. Pour wine into pan, and scrape up any bits left from the chicken. Cook 1-2 minutes, until nearly all liquid has evaporated.
3. Add vinegar, broth, honey, bay leaf, and chicken to the pot, and bring to a simmer. Cover tightly and transfer to oven. Cook 30 minutes, turning once, until chicken is cooked through and is a deep, mahogany brown.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer chicken to a plate. Remove bay leaf, and skim off and discard any fat floating on the surface of the sauce. Cook sauce uncovered on a burner over medium-high heat to reduce liquid by half, until it has the consistency of a light syrup. Reduce heat to medium-low, add chicken back to pan, spoon sauce over top, and cook for 2 minutes to reheat. Serve hot.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: For an incredibly juicy and flavorful chicken entrée, braise browned chicken thighs in balsamic vinegar, honey, and wine, then serve with the reduced sauce.
- Yield: 3 servings (serving size: 2 thighs)
|Calories per serving:||394|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||29g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||36g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.0g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||99mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||201mg|
|Calcium per serving:||44mg|