Mini Lemon-Coconut Cupcakes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg yolk
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) Neufchâtel cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
1. To prepare filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in 1/3 cup water, orange juice, lemon juice, rind, and yolk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes or until very thick. Transfer to a bowl, and chill. (To chill quickly, place the bowl in the freezer and stir every couple of minutes until room temperature.)
2. To prepare cupcakes, preheat oven to 350°. Coat 36 miniature muffin cups with cooking spray.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add coconut milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla; beat with a mixer at low speed until smooth.
4. Spoon 2 teaspoons batter into each muffin cup. Add 1 teaspoon filling to center of each cup. Top with 1/2 teaspoon batter; spread over filling.
5. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove muffins from pan. Let cool completely before frosting.
6. To prepare frosting, beat butter and Neufchâtel cheese with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Add the sugar; beat well. Add rind and coconut milk; beat until smooth.
7. Generously frost tops of cupcakes; sprinkle with coconut.
Prep: 35 minutes Cook: 20 minutes. These tiny treats are all you need to satisfy your sweet tooth. This recipe uses Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting
- Yield: 36 cupcakes (serving size: 1 cupcake)
|Calories per serving:||301|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||49g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||65mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||153mg|
|Calcium per serving:||28mg|