Vegetable Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups assorted fresh vegetables, such as diced red and yellow bell peppers, small broccoli florets, julienned or thinly sliced carrots, diced zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 or 14.5 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 or 16 ounce) can navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped basil or Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, broth, rosemary and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in beans and basil; heat through. Ladle soup into shallow bowls; top with cheese. Yield: 4 (serving size: about 1-1/3 cups).