Maple-Cinnamon French Toast
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon butter or canola oil
- Warm Wild Blueberry Sauce
- Blueberries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to lowest setting (about 200°).
2. Place a large, shallow baking dish in oven to warm.
3. Combine the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is well blended. Place 2 slices whole wheat bread in batter, and soak for 2 minutes.
4. Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Melt butter or heat oil in skillet, swirling pan to spread it around. Lift bread slices out of batter, letting them drain slightly, and place bread in skillet. Cook until golden, flipping once (about 2-3 minutes on each side). Transfer toast to the warm baking dish in the oven. Repeat the procedure with remaining bread slices. Serve hot with warm blueberry sauce spooned on top. Garnish with additional blueberries, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 piece of French toast and about 1/3 cup warm blueberry sauce)
|Calories per serving:||152|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||20g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||111mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||237mg|
|Calcium per serving:||93mg|
Good to Know
Straight from New England, this recipe will be a hit at any holiday brunch. Using vanilla extract and cinnamon will give you plenty of flavor without the added fat of butter.