Pear, Beet, and Gorgonzola Green Salad
- 2 peeled beets
- 4 cups thinly sliced, firm Bosc pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 (5-ounce) bag spring-greens mix
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Wash beets, leaving wet, and wrap individually in foil. Arrange beets in roasting pan or on baking sheet; bake 90 minutes or until tender (poke a thin-bladed knife through foil to test). Cool in foil. (To cook on stovetop, place beets in saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until tender. Cool. This takes less time than baking--45 minutes to an hour.) Dice beets.
3. Toss pears with lemon juice in a small bowl; cover, and refrigerate up to 2 hours. Place diced roasted beets and cheese in 2 separate bowls; cover, and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
4. Combine oil and next 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with whisk.
5. Remove pears, beets, and cheese from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving; bring to room temperature.
6. Place greens in a bowl; top with pears, beets, and cheese, and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 90 minutes. You can roast the beets up to 2 days before assembling salad.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||180|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||17g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||84mg|
|Calcium per serving:||112mg|