Turkey, Fast and Easy
- 1 (8- to 10-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water or stock, plus additional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 500°.
2. Rinse turkey; remove giblets, gizzard, and neck, and set aside.
3. Place turkey on a rack in broiler pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup water or stock to bottom of the pan along with turkey giblets, gizzard, neck, and any other trimmings. Place turkey in oven, legs-first.
4. Roast at 500° for 20-30 minutes or until top of turkey begins to brown; reduce heat to 350°. Continue to roast, checking after 1 hour or so; to keep top from overbrowning, cover with aluminum foil. If bottom of pan dries out, add water or stock, 1/2 cup at a time. Turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh measures 180°. If top is still not browned enough, remove foil and increase heat to 425° for last 20-30 minutes of cooking time.
5. Remove turkey from oven. Transfer to platter and make Simple Sherry Gravy while turkey rests (let sit for 20 minutes before carving).
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 120 minutes.
- Yield: 8 servings plus leftovers (serving size: 6 ounces meat with skin removed)
|Calories per serving:||295|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||51g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||0.0g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.0g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||132mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||294mg|
|Calcium per serving:||44mg|