Beginner's Indian Curry
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red chili
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (about 1 3/4 cups) cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. Cook 2 minutes or until seeds are fragrant, stirring frequently. Combine the tomato and oil in a small bowl; add to the seeds. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in the turmeric, red chili, and salt. Cook, stirring, for another minute.
3. Add chicken and cook for 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk; cover. Simmer over low heat 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Serve hot, spooned over warm basmati rice.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This is a mild curry. To make it spicier, increase the ground red chili. You'll find all these spices at your local grocer or online at www.namaste.com.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||219|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||24g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||4g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||71mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||145mg|
|Calcium per serving:||18mg|