Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 2/3 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (about 23 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
1. To prepare caramel, combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat; stir frequently until butter melts. Continue cooking until mixture thickens and becomes smooth (about 1 minute), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; pour into the center of a 9-inch square baking pan; quickly spread caramel onto pan bottom using a spatula coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pecans; cool to room temperature. Lightly coat sides of pan with cooking spray.
2. To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in salt.
3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 5 cups flour to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to keep dough from sticking to hands.
4. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
5. Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
6. Roll dough into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface; spread 2 tablespoons of softened butter over dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends). Cut into 16 (1-inch-wide) slices. (A) Place slices, cut sides up, in prepared pan (rolls will be crowded). Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F.
8. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until rolls are light golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes on rack. Place a serving platter upside down on top of pan; invert onto platter. Serve warm.
Watch the video: Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns
Make the dough first and let it rise before you prepare the pan with the caramel-pecan mixture.
- Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 roll)
|Calories per serving:||232|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||21%|
|Fat per serving:||5.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.7g|
|Protein per serving:||4.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||41.7g|
|Fiber per serving:||1.4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||9mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||249mg|
|Calcium per serving:||14mg|
Good to Know
Go ahead and give in to these delectable sweet rolls dripping with buttery caramel—they have half the fat and a minimal amount of cholesterol, compared to the original. Chopped pecans add a delicious crunch and heart-healthy fats.