Acorn Squash and Kale Over Penne
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled acorn squash (about 2 medium squash)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups (about 5 ounces) coarsely chopped trimmed kale
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 cups hot cooked penne
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Place squash in a casserole dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 7 minutes on HIGH or until tender.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add kale and broth; cover. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook 1 minute. Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in squash and pasta, tossing gently. Sprinkle with cheese.
Andrea's wine pick: The white Sémillon grape's opulent fruit tinged with earthiness picks up both the sweetness of acorn squash and the kick of kale. Look for Peter Lehmann Sémillon, Australia 2001, $15.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: Serve nutrient-rich acorn squash and kale over budget-friendly penne pasta for a quick, easy, and healthy supper that won't break the bank.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 cups pasta mixture and about 4 teaspoons cheese)
|Calories per serving:||306|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||54g|
|Fiber per serving:||8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||6mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||297mg|
|Calcium per serving:||293mg|