Spicy Black Bean Burritos
- 5 to 6 ripe chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 cup hot cooked white rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) packages extra-firm smoked tofu, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1. For the salsa, combine all of the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl; refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. For the burritos, combine rice, beans, onion, garlic, and cumin in a medium bowl. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
3a. For the tofu, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook 5 minutes or until heated through, turning once.
3b. To use chicken: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and sauté 6 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into into 1/4-inch strips.
4. Spread 1/4 cup of rice over the bottom half of a tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border. Top rice mixture with 1/4 of the tofu or chicken, 2 tablespoons salsa, 1/2 cup shredded lettuce, and 2 tablespoons of sour cream; roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Slice each burrito in half, and serve.
Nutritional analysis with chicken: Calories 366 (37% from fat); Fat 15g (sat 5g, mono 6g, poly 1g); Cholesterol 51mg; Protein 19g; Carbohydrate 37g; Sugars 5g; Fiber 5g; Iron 3mg; Sodium 394mg; Calcium 109mg
To make this recipe flexitarian, replace the smoked tofu with 4 (4-ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves. Prep: 40 minutes; Cook: 5 minutes for tofu, 12 minutes for chicken.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 burrito)
|Calories per serving:||355|
|Fat per serving:||15g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||13g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||39g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||20mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||367mg|
|Calcium per serving:||175mg|