Asian Noodles in Broth
- 1 (8-ounce) package soba or udon noodles
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound soft tofu, drained and patted dry
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup thinly sliced daikon radish
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots, peeled
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Hot sauce for drizzling over top (optional)
- Dark sesame oil for drizzling over top (optional)
1. Cook noodles according to package directions, about 8 to 10 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Drain and divide among 4 large serving bowls.
2. Combine water, soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Add tofu or steak; simmer 4 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Divide lettuce, radish, carrot, and green onions among the bowls. Ladle hot broth and tofu or steak over noodles.
4. Drizzle each serving with a few drops of hot sauce and sesame oil, if desired.
Nutritional analysis with beef: Calories 547 (24% from fat); Fat 15g (sat 5g, mono 7g, poly 1g); Cholesterol 68mg; Protein 43g; Carbohydrate 59g; Sugars 8g; Fiber 5g; Iron 5mg; Sodium 973mg; Calcium 62mg
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: To make this recipe flexitarian, replace tofu with 1 pound of skirt steak, trimmed and cut into strips.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)
|Calories per serving:||410|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||26g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||60g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||901mg|
|Calcium per serving:||174mg|