Cinnamon Grilled Plums With Pineapple-Rum Sauce
- 1/2 cup canned or fresh pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large ripe plums, quartered and pitted
- 8 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 8 (1-inch-wide) lemon rind strips
- 2 pints vanilla low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 8 large chilled martini or wine glasses
1. Place pineapple juice in a heavy saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half (3-5 minutes).
2. Remove pan from heat and add rum. Return to heat, add sugar, butter, and cinnamon to juice mixture; boil 3-5 minutes or until thick, stirring well with a whisk. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Using a metal skewer, make a starter hole in the center of each plum quarter (from skin side to pit side). Skewer 2 plum quarters on each cinnamon stick, facing the same way, placing a strip of lemon rind between each plum quarter. (The recipe can be prepared several hours in advance up to this point.)
4. Set up your grill for direct grilling, and preheat grill to high. Clean and oil grate.
5. Arrange the plum kebabs on grate, and grill 3-5 minutes per side or until sizzling and golden, basting lightly with pineapple-rum sauce.
6. When the kebabs are nearly done, scoop the ice cream or frozen yogurt into glasses. Top each portion with a plum kebab; drizzle with remaining sauce, and garnish with grated lemon rind. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 plum and 1/2 cup ice cream)
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||219|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||33g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||16mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||49mg|
|Calcium per serving:||113mg|