The Easiest Barbecued Chicken You'll Ever Make
- 5 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon barbecue smoke seasoning (such as Hickory Liquid Smoke)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
1. To make rub, place first 5 ingredients in a bowl and combine with your fingers, breaking up lumps in sugar. (You'll need 1 1/2-2 tablespoons rub for this recipe. The excess can be stored in a sealed jar for several weeks.)
2. Sprinkle rub over chicken on both sides, rubbing into the meat with your fingers. Arrange chicken in a baking dish. Cover with foil, and refrigerate 20 minutes.
3. To make basting mixture, combine oil and smoke seasoning in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
4. Spread the coals in an even layer to make a single-zone fire. (On a gas grill, you'd simply light the appropriate burner.) Preheat to high. Clean and oil grate.
5. Arrange chicken diagonal to bars of grate, and grill 4-6 minutes total per side or until browned and thoroughly heated; begin basting chicken after first 2 minutes of cooking, and baste several times. (If you're feeling ambitious, rotate each breast a quarter-turn after the first 2 minutes to create hatch marks.) Insert an instant-read meat thermometer into thick end of breast through the side--the temperature should be about 160°.
6. Transfer chicken to a platter or plates; serve with barbecue sauce.
Prep: 25 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes. A silicone basting brush (like the one from Sili Gourmet, $17 at www.wmboundsltd.com) lets you keep the chicken moist without getting any unsightly nylon bristles in the mix.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast)
|Calories per serving:||303|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||36g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||11g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||94mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||973mg|
|Calcium per serving:||35mg|