Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup packaged garlic croutons
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or basil
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Use your finger to push out and discard seeds; use a paring knife to cut out the pulp, leaving 2 shells. Chop pulp, and transfer to a medium bowl. Place hollowed tomatoes, cut sides down, on a paper towel; drain 5 minutes. Add croutons, goat cheese, olives, dressing, and thyme or basil to pulp; mix well. Mound mixture into hollowed tomatoes.
3. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil 4-5 inches from heat until hot and cheese melts (about 5 minutes). Serve immediately.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 5 minutes. To keep the filling from getting mushy, cook the tomatoes right after you've stuffed them.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 tomato with stuffing)
|Calories per serving:||103|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||8g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||6mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||303mg|
|Calcium per serving:||39mg|