Grano: Chewy Ice Cream Sundae
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked grano
- 1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed, or 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pint vanilla low-fat ice cream
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil; add grano. Simmer, covered, 50 minutes or until tender. Drain and chill.
2. Place the berries, sugar, and honey in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Drain the mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl, if desired; discard any solids.
3. Divide ice cream among 4 small bowls. Top each serving with 1/3 cup grano (you'll have a bit left over) and 1 tablespoon raspberry mixture. Serve immediately.
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes. Food Editor Frances Largeman was inspired to create this recipe after enjoying a similar dessert by chef Ana Sortun of Oleana restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Try pairing the cooked grano with sorbet and other toppings, like dulce de leche.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/3 cup grano and 1/2 cup ice cream, plus sauce)
|Calories per serving:||209|
|Fat per serving:||3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||42g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||48mg|
|Calcium per serving:||114mg|