Greek-Style Picnic Salad
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 cups bagged prewashed spinach (about 8 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 10 lemon wedges (optional)
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool to room temperature; set aside.
Combine boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Combine rice, tomatoes, spinach mixture, cheese, and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas). Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with nuts; serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
For authentic Greek flavor, substitute two teaspoons chopped fresh oregano for dried.
- Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||288|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||30%|
|Fat per serving:||9.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Protein per serving:||10.3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||41.8g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||8mg|
|Iron per serving:||3.4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||713mg|
|Calcium per serving:||110mg|