Sesame-Chile Chicken with Gingered Watermelon Salsa
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili sauce with garlic
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups diced seeded watermelon
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
To prepare chicken, combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
To prepare salsa, combine watermelon and next 8 ingredients (through jalapeño); cover and chill until ready to serve.
Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken diagonally across grain into thin slices; serve with salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Combine diced watermelon with other vitamin C-containing ingredients such as bell pepper and lime juice to make a sweet and tangy salsa for the spicy grilled chicken. To make preparation of the salsa easy, buy a container of cubed watermelon in the produce section of the grocery store and cut the chunks up into smaller pieces.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and about 1/2 cup salsa)
|Calories per serving:||247|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||17%|
|Fat per serving:||4.6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Protein per serving:||40.2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||8.7g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||99mg|
|Iron per serving:||1.8mg|
|Sodium per serving:||722mg|
|Calcium per serving:||27mg|
Good to Know
Salsa is a low-fat, low-calorie way to dress up any sort of dish, especially chicken. While cream sauces are popular, they're high in saturated fat and cholesterol.