Streusel-Topped Key Lime Squares
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until creamy (about 2 minutes). Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Gradually add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, beating at low speed until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently press two-thirds of mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) into bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; set remaining 2/3 cup flour mixture aside. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
3. Combine 2/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, baking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add lime juice and eggs, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Pour mixture over crust. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven (do not turn oven off); sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup flour mixture evenly over egg mixture. Bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar.
If you can't find key limes, you can use regular Persian limes, but the squares won't be quite as tart.
- Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 square)
|Calories per serving:||121|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||29%|
|Fat per serving:||3.9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Protein per serving:||2.2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||19.9g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||47mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.6mg|
|Sodium per serving:||93mg|
|Calcium per serving:||21mg|