Butternut Squash and Pine-Nut Risotto
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other short-grained rice
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Combine squash, 2 teaspoons oil, salt, cumin, and coriander. Place in a single, uncrowded layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes, turning once.
3. Place nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
4. Simmer broth and water in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until golden brown. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total).
6. Remove pot from heat; stir in squash, cheese, and nuts. Season generously with pepper and additional salt, if desired.
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 70 minutes
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
|Calories per serving:||433|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||15g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||59g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||13mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||410mg|
|Calcium per serving:||175mg|