Mashed Potatoes With Sautéed Leeks
- 1 small leek, trimmed and cut in 2 horizontal pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups finely chopped peeled Russet potato (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (1%)
- 1/4 cup Neufchâtel cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut leek sections lengthwise into matchstick-size pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in a large non- stick skillet over medium heat; add leek, and cook 5 minutes or until softened. Increase heat to medium-high, and sauté 1 minute or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Place chopped potato in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain, and return potato to pot. Add buttermilk, Neufchâtel, butter, salt, and freshly ground black pepper; mash with a potato masher until smooth.
4. To serve, place potato mixture in a large serving dish; top with sautéed leeks. Serve immediately.
Total Antioxidant Capacity: 2,464. Prep: 25 minutes; Cook: 25 minutes. Russet potatoes have about double the antioxidants of plain white and red potatoes. They're also one of the most versatile varieties of potato since they lend themselves to baking, mashing, or boiling.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||203|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||31g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||13mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||176mg|
|Calcium per serving:||67mg|