Red Bean and Poblano Chili
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and cut into thirds lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can small red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large chopped yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 large vertically sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Flatten poblano pepper with hands. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 4-6 inches from heat 4 minutes or until blackened and charred. Place in a zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes to allow skins to loosen. Peel and discard skins. Coarsely chop poblano pepper.
3. Place poblano pepper and next 10 ingredients (through red onion) in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Uncover, and stir in cilantro, tomato paste, and half of green onions.
4. To serve, spoon chili into six serving bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Total Antioxidant Capacity: 4,498. Small red beans topped the antioxidant list. If you want to make this chili on the stove instead of in a slow cooker, heat the oil in a Dutch oven and cook the onions, garlic, and spices together first. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||197|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||9g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||24g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||16mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||869mg|
|Calcium per serving:||190mg|