Artichoke, Goat Cheese, and Potato Omelet
- 1 small unpeeled Russet potato
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 4 drained canned artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
1. Pierce potato with a fork, and arrange on paper towel in microwave oven. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes or until done, turning potato after 1 1/2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop potato.
2. Heat 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and potato; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add artichoke; cook 2 minutes. Add oregano, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Combine egg whites, whole eggs, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
4. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon olive oil and half of egg mixture, and cook until edges begin to set (about 2 minutes). Lift edges of omelet with a spatula, tilting pan to allow uncooked egg mixture to come in contact with pan. Cook 2 minutes or until set. Spoon half of potato mixture onto half of omelet; sprinkle with half of crumbled goat cheese. Loosen omelet with spatula; fold in half. Cook 2 minutes. Repeat procedure with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil, egg mixture, and potato mixture.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Total Antioxidant Capacity: 2,247. Russet potatoes and artichoke hearts both made the top 20 list. Oregano ranked as one of the highest in the spice rack.
- Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 omelet)
|Calories per serving:||264|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||20g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||21g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||218mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||512mg|
|Calcium per serving:||71mg|