- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 300°.
2. Combine granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a small, heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; cook 45 seconds, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 3 minutes or until golden. Immediately pour mixture into a 9-inch quiche dish coated with cooking spray, tipping quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of dish.
3. Combine 1% low-fat milk and remaining ingredients in blender; process until smooth. Pour milk mixture over syrup in dish. Place dish in a 13- x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 300° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove dish from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes Sugars 56.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 1 hour. Health Managing Editor Jerry Gulley, who developed this recipe, suggests that you use an 8-inch round cake pan if you don't have a quiche dish. But note that the baking time will need to be adjusted to 1 hour and 50 minutes (the increased height of the flan requires extra time).
- Yield: 8 servings
|Calories per serving:||278|
|Fat per serving:||2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||9g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||57g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.0g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||59mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||104mg|
|Calcium per serving:||257mg|