Coco Rice With Green Onions
- 2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Heat oil in a medium sauce- pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.
2. Add rice and turmeric; sauté until rice becomes yellow. Stir in unsweetened coconut.
3. Add broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
4. Turn off heat, uncover, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in green onions, and serve.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes Sugars 2g.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 25 minutes. Traditional Latin-American rice gets a yellow hue with a spice mixture called Sazón, which contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) and other chemicals. We've used the natural spice turmeric to give our rice a golden glow and added a flavor twist by mixing in coconut. Dried, flaked, unsweetened coconut is found in most Asian stores and natural-food markets.
- Yield: 2 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)
|Calories per serving:||268|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||48g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||104mg|
|Calcium per serving:||23mg|