Thai-Style Beef Salad
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups trimmed watercress
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 6 sliced radishes
- 3 1/2 cups sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add beef, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer 25 minutes or until medium-rare. Remove beef from saucepan with tongs, cover beef with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes.
2. Combine canola oil, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Set aside.
3. Combine watercress, mint, cilantro, radishes, onion, and lemon rind in a large bowl; refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
4. Cut beef crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices, then into long strips. Add beef and dressing to watercress mixture, and toss gently to coat.
High in vitamin B12 (1.3 mcg); RDA for women is 2.4 mcg. Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 25 minutes. You can use a cheaper cut of beef, such as flank steak, for this dish.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
|Calories per serving:||262|
|Fat per serving:||20g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||10g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||15g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||6g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||47mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||463mg|
|Calcium per serving:||54mg|