Easy Meatless Manicotti
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package manicotti (14 shells)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup water
Preheat oven to 375°.
Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, cottage cheese, and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a medium bowl. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked manicotti. Pour half of tomato-basil pasta sauce into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer over sauce, and top with the remaining sauce. Pour 1 cup water into dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella evenly over sauce. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until shells are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 2 manicotti)
Whip up this meatless manicotti for a vegetarian version of a favorite Italian pasta dish.
|Calories per serving:||328|
|Calories per serving:||25%|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Protein per serving:||23.8g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||38.3g|
|Fiber per serving:||3.9g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||23mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||891mg|
|Calcium per serving:||451mg|
Good to Know
Cheese pasta dishes don't always have to be extremely high in fat. This recipe calls for fat-free cheese, so you get the flavor, the calcium but not all the saturated fat.