Cornish Hens With Port-Cherry Sauce
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika (available at specialty-food shops)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Additional thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Remove giblets and necks from hens. Rinse with cold water; pat dry. Remove skin; trim excess fat. Split hens in half lengthwise. Combine paprika, next 3 ingredients (through pepper), and 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme; rub on hens.
3. Place hen halves, breast sides up, in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; place a thyme sprig in the cavity of each bird.
4. Insert a thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, avoiding the bone. Bake at hens at 400° for 35 minutes or until thermometer registers 165°. Transfer hens to a platter; cover with foil.
5. To prepare sauce, place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings from broiler pan into bag; let stand 10 minutes until fat rises to top. Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner. Drain drippings into a small bowl; discard fat. Set drippings aside.
6. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes.
7. Combine broth, port, 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme, cornstarch, cherries, reserved drippings, and any juices accumulated on platter; add to pan, and cook 5 minutes. Serve hens with sauce; garnish with additional thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This elegant Cornish hen recipe is a festive alternative to turkey for your next holiday meal.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 hen half plus 3 tablespoons sauce)
|Calories per serving:||272|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||33g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||13g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||147mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||243mg|
|Calcium per serving:||29mg|