Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onion
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Cover potatoes with water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 14 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
2. Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 12 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Set aside.
3. Add milk, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Mash the mixture with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency. Stir in onions.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Mashed potatoes are definitely a crowd favorite but this healthy recipe goes a step farther by incorporating sweet caramelized onions for a flavorful side.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||125|
|Fat per serving:||3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||22g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||7mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||117mg|
|Calcium per serving:||57mg|