Chicken-Noodle Soup with Spinach
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
- 1 (1-inch) cube Parmesan cheese, preferably with rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1/2 cup uncooked tubetti (tiny tube-shaped pasta) or other small pasta
- 1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook 10 seconds or until fragrant. Add broth, chicken, Parmesan cube, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove chicken; set aside. Remove Parmesan cube; discard.
2. Return broth mixture to a boil. Add pasta; simmer 9 minutes or until pasta is tender.
3. Cut chicken-breast halves into thin strips; return to soup. Stir in spinach, and simmer 1 minute or until wilted. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls; sprinkle with 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes. For the best flavor, use freshly grated nutmeg.
- Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||252|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||24g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||38mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||842mg|
|Calcium per serving:||101mg|