Wild Mushroom-Barley Soup
- 1/4 ounce dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fennel or celery
- 1/2 pound cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano or thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
1. Combine porcinis and 1 cup boiling water in a bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes or until tender. Drain porcinis in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Line a strainer with a paper towel, and pour porcini liquid through strainer; reserve liquid. Rinse porcinis thoroughly; finely chop.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and fennel; cover and cook 5 minutes or until softened. Add creminis, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until creminis release moisture.
3. Stir broth, tomato, sherry, barley, chopped porcinis, and reserved porcini liquid into cremini mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until barley is tender. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 25 minutes.
- Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||175|
|Fat per serving:||4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||553mg|
|Calcium per serving:||38mg|