Golden Potato-Cauliflower Soup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed French or Italian bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 1/2 cups sliced cauliflower (about 1/2 small cauliflower)
- 3/4 pound sliced peeled Yukon gold potato
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare croutons, combine cumin and 1 teaspoon oil in a bowl; add bread cubes, and toss to coat. Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool croutons slightly; set aside.
3. To prepare soup, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and celery; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in cauliflower, potato, broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add lemon juice. Place vegetable mixture, in batches, in a food processor; process until smooth. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls; serve with croutons, and top with chives, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Take your traditional potato soup recipe up a notch by adding crisp cauliflower. Once the simple is pureed, no one will be able to guess your secret ingredient.
- Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||171|
|Fat per serving:||4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||629mg|
|Calcium per serving:||43mg|