- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns, cut into long spears
- 3 cups turkey (light and dark meat, shredded into large pieces), warmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup presliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups homemade turkey broth or low-sodium canned broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook broccoli about 5 minutes, or until tender; drain. Butter a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish; arrange broccoli across the bottom. Top with turkey; cover with foil to keep warm.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onions and mushrooms until golden brown (add a little broth if mixture seems dry). Add flour, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until thick. Stir in sherry; cook 1 minute. Add cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan; simmer 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, arrange a rack 6 inches below the heat source, and preheat the broiler to high. Pour sauce over turkey. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and almonds. Broil for 1 minute, or until the sauce bubbles and the almonds are golden brown.
For a lighter version, substitute olive oil for the butter, and replace the heavy cream with either milk or half-and-half. If you don't want to use sherry, add 2 additional tablespoons of broth.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||320|
|Fat per serving:||18g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||28g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||83mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||238mg|
|Calcium per serving:||184mg|