Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Tagine
- 1 small red onion
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Cut red onion into 4 wedges, leaving root end intact. Place red onion, bell peppers, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon oil in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag; toss well to coat.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add cumin, fennel, and cinnamon; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup water, olives, raisins, black pepper, tomatoes, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
Remove bell peppers and red onion from bag, discarding marinade; place on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 10 minutes, turning frequently.
Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve tomato mixture over couscous. Top with grilled bell peppers and red onions; sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups tomato mixture, 1/2 cup couscous, 1/2 cup grilled vegetables, and 1 tablespoon pine nuts)
"The idea for this dish came from a favorite restaurant offering. I changed it to fit what I had on hand at the time. I serve the tagine over couscous and top it with the vegetables. My family loves it." CLReader.
|Calories per serving:||462|
|Calories from fat:||14%|
|Fat per serving:||7.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2.2g|
|Protein per serving:||15.8g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||95.5g|
|Fiber per serving:||13.9g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||4.7mg|
|Sodium per serving:||574mg|
|Calcium per serving:||123mg|