Quick-and-Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 (8-ounce) carton reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons no salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless sirloin steak, cut into (2-inch) strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 8 cups cooked medium egg noodles (about 7 cups uncooked pasta)
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add beef; seal and shake to coat beef with flour mixture.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add beef and flour mixture to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until beef is browned. Gradually add broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add mushrooms; cover and cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Reduce heat to low; gradually stir in sour cream mixture. Cook, uncovered, 1 minute or until heated (do not boil). Stir in parsley, if desired. Serve over the egg noodles.
This classic Russian dish is easy to make; use frozen chopped onions and presliced mushrooms to speed preparation. To maintain a creamy consistency, be careful not to bring the sauce to a boil once you stir in the sour cream mixture. Serve with rice if you need a substitute for egg noodles.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup beef mixture and 1 cup noodles)
|Calories per serving:||473|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||30%|
|Fat per serving:||16g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.1g|
|Protein per serving:||30.2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||50.6g|
|Fiber per serving:||2.6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||129mg|
|Iron per serving:||5.7mg|
|Sodium per serving:||417mg|
|Calcium per serving:||81mg|