Portobello Mushrooms with Mediterranean Stuffing
- 4 (4-inch) portobello caps (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups (1/4-inch) cubed French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons low-fat balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove stems from mushrooms, and finely chop stems to measure 1/4 cup. Discard remaining stems. Combine 1/4 cup chopped stems, onion, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic).
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion mixture to pan; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine onion mixture and bread in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Slowly add broth to bread mixture, tossing to coat. Add feta; toss gently.
Remove brown gills from the undersides of mushroom caps using a spoon; discard gills. Place mushrooms, stem side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush mushrooms evenly with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette. Sprinkle Parmesan and black pepper evenly over mushrooms; top each with 1/2 cup bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and greens, tossing gently. Place 1 cup greens on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 mushroom.
"This is great to serve as a first course at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I came up with the idea when I was looking for a vegetarian dish with a traditional feel. It's easy, tasty, and always a hit." -Angela McKinlay, Everett, WA
- Yield: 4 servings
|Calories per serving:||182|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||32%|
|Fat per serving:||6.4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Protein per serving:||9.3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||22.7g|
|Fiber per serving:||4.1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||20mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||691mg|
|Calcium per serving:||189mg|