Sausage and Peppers
- Cooking spray
- 6 (4-ounce) links turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups (1/4-inch strips) green bell pepper
- 1 cup (1/4-inch strips) red bell pepper
- 1 cup (1/4-inch strips) yellow bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (26-ounce) bottle fat-free pasta sauce (such as Healthy Choice)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 cups hot cooked penne (about 3/4 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Wipe pan with paper towels; recoat with cooking spray. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add peppers; sauté 6 minutes. Add sausage; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Add mozzarella, stirring until melted. Place 1 cup pasta in each of 6 shallow bowls; spoon about 1 cup sausage mixture over each serving. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon Parmesan.
- Yield: 6 servings
Cook turkey sausage and peppers in one skillet, top with cheese, and serve over pasta for an easy weeknight meal.
|Calories per serving:||483|
|Calories from fat:||26%|
|Fat per serving:||13.9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3.7g|
|Protein per serving:||33g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||55.7g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||102mg|
|Iron per serving:||3.4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||1150mg|
|Calcium per serving:||158mg|