Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking wild rice
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounce light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to potato mixture; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in rice, chicken, pepper, and salt. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Light cheese and a flour-and-milk mixture keep this chicken and wild rice soup creamy but surprisingly low in fat. Make a batch of soup and reheat throughout the week for effortless and satisfying meals.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
|Calories per serving:||280|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||23%|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Protein per serving:||24.9g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28.7g|
|Fiber per serving:||1.6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||52mg|
|Iron per serving:||1.1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||879mg|
|Calcium per serving:||329mg|
Good to Know
Light cheese and a flour-and-milk mixture keep this soup creamy but surprisingly low in fat. Make a batch and reheat throughout the week for effortless and satisfying meals.