Grilled Cornish Hens with Apricot-Mustard Glaze
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2 (18-ounce) Cornish hens, skinned and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
Combine preserves, mustard, parsley, mint, and vinegar, stirring with a whisk. Sprinkle hens with salt and pepper. Place 1/4 cup apricot mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add hens; seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
Remove hens from bag; discard marinade. Place hens on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 12 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°, turning hens occasionally and basting frequently with apricot mixture.
Serve with grilled fennel bulb quarters and couscous. Preserves are chunkier than jelly and thus adhere better to the Cornish hen. Peach preserves are also a tasty option.
- Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 hen)
|Calories per serving:||417|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||15%|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.6g|
|Protein per serving:||41.7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||44.6g|
|Fiber per serving:||3.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||180mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||608mg|
|Calcium per serving:||70mg|