Steak Tacos with Simple Guacamole
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed through a garlic press)
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, fat trimmed
- 3 cups vertically sliced onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 2 cups red and yellow bell pepper strips (about 2 large peppers)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (or 1 serrano pepper), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, with seeds
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed through a garlic press)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
To prepare steak, combine 1 teaspoon oil and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl. Rub steak with garlic-oil mixture; place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal; marinate in the refrigerator 1 hour, or overnight.
Lightly spray the rack of an outdoor grill with cooking spray. Heat to medium-high.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes (A). Keep warm.
Place the steak on the grill, and cook 4 minutes on each side (without turning) for medium, or to desired degree of doneness (B). Let stand 10 minutes on a cutting board before slicing crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
To prepare guacamole, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well, mashing with a pestle (C) or fork until mixture is chunky.
Heat the tortillas in a covered casserole in a 300° oven until warm and pliable. Place a small amount of meat in each tortilla; top with the onion-pepper mixture and guacamole.
Most of the fat in this recipe is the good-for-you monounsaturated kind in the avocado, so don't let it deter (or disturb) you.
- Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 2 tortillas, 1/3 cup meat, 2/3 cup onion mixture, 2 tablespoons guacamole)
|Calories per serving:||490|
|Fat per serving:||19g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||10g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||30g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||48g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||54mg|
|Iron per serving:||5mg|
|Sodium per serving:||535mg|
|Calcium per serving:||116mg|