Chicken and Dumplings
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (about 12 ounces)
- 4 cups thinly sliced leek, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped parsnip
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge the chicken in flour mixture, and turn to coat; shake off excess flour. Add the chicken to the pot; cook 3 minutes on each side, or until well-browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add leeks to pot; cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Return chicken to pot, and stir in broth, carrots, parsnips, celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Partially cover; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pan. Pull the meat from bones; discard bones. Return the chicken to the pot, and stir in peas.
To prepare the dumplings, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt 3 times (this makes the dumplings very light). Combine the flour mixture, milk, and chives, and stir until moist.
Drop dough by 3 tablespoonfuls into a barely simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 12 minutes, or until the dumplings are done (do not bring to a boil, or the dumplings will break up).
- Yield: serves 6
This healthy version of old-fashioned chicken dish contains skinless chicken thighs that are cooked in a mixture of carrot, leek, parsnip, celery and peas and topped with a low-fat dumpling mixture.
|Calories per serving:||362|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||18g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||47g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||45mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||825mg|
|Calcium per serving:||213mg|